Sunday, February 21, 2010

I Really Hate Sadie Hawkins

I don't like being confrontational. Or exclusive.  Can't we all be friends?  Just because I like someone doesn't mean I want to ask them out.

Yes, if someone asks someone out, 99.9% of the time it's because they like like that person.  Has it ever occurred to anyone in this privacy obsessed country that maybe you don't want that person to know how you feel about them?


Once at this Valentine's Day Dance (that was a week after, but whatever), this boy asked me to dance. I put my I'm-really-shy-and-sweet-and-adorable smile and shook my head, and he got so mad- and God, this still makes me want to walk out on myself- that he left.  He looked at me, and he twirled around and left with some of his friends for about an hour.  And he wouldn't look at me for the rest of the night.

I am not proud of this.

I had my reasons though.

1.  He was break dancing the whole night and it was really sick.  And I felt intimidated.  I was in ballet six years, and it taught me that I am no dancer, and that I have about as much grace as a stack of plywood.  So, what, I ask of you, was I supposed to do while he was flipping and spinning around?

2.  I thought he was asking my friend Ximena to dance.  Now that I look back on it though, that was kind of stupid.  Yeah, she was the one boogying out in the middle of the dance floor (she asked me to push her in, by the way), but she was eleven, and he, obviously, was not, and I was right behind her.  Anyways, the point that I'm failing trying to get across is that he caught me off guard. And that usually renders me... stupid.  And useless.

Yeah...

I feel kind of bad about it now.  I hope I haven't made him a bitter person.  I hope I don't have that kind of power.  I never thought I did.  And I still don't.  

Dances are fun but they're just kind of stupid.  I met this girl once and she told me that she's danced with boys before that she thought she would spend the rest of her life with (I'm paraphrasing, but you get my drift), and then she never saw them again.  Unless you own half a pair of glass slippers and you're name rhymes with salmonella is Cinderella, this is probably the single most depressing experience of a girls' life.  She also said that she had danced with some boys, and once she started to feel that connection, the lights turned on.  And, oh that connection died faster than she said goodbye and ran out the door.

So I skipped Sadie Hawkins. I stayed home and did something so interesting, I can't remember it.

It's okay, though.  I'm actually pretty relieved that when I grow older, and all my cool friends and I are talking and they're all, "Oh, remember all those stupid dances at school?  Remember Sadie Hawkins? So lame, right?"  I can say, yes, very lame, I never stepped a foot in one of those, and save myself a sin during confession. 

Maybe, I can avoid it until next year. 


5 comments:

  1. Yeah, except for my little scene...

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so proud of you girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud of me for breaking that poor boy's heart? I don't think so little bro...

    ReplyDelete
  4. first dont call me little bro i am not related to you i am jamy vhon gimishgosh.
    and you are now a heart breaker.

    ReplyDelete