Wednesday, July 7, 2010

The Chronicles of Me

Hello again!

So I have been gone for some time but I'm back! Where have I been you may ask? My mom decided to sign me up for every single activity she saw was available for summer. So much for taking it easy during my vacation...

Let me tell you what I have done so far.

The first thing I did was Volleyball camp. There were a few reasons why I like volleyball, besides the fact that I'm pretty good at it. 1) It's the sport with the least amount of running and, 2) it has that beautiful thing called air conditioning. But let me tell you, I was not expecting all the hustling and physical work out stuff that I did at  camp.

The coaches were tough and the ones that looked like angels would scream and scare the heck out of me.  It was still a good camp, though. I learned a ton of things I didn't know.

I learned where you go when the ball is coming to you, and where you go when the ball is on the opponent's side. I didn't know there was an art to this.

After a week of camp my legs were stiff and sore. Sleeping hurt, standing hurt, sitting hurt, and moving hurt. You get the idea?  After my intense and painful mornings, I'd come back with friends and we would all spend hours in the pool, which was relaxing until we got out.

After Volleyball camp,  I volunteered for a week at Vacation Bible School (I was also dragged into this).

So I get second grade. I'm thinking, maybe this will be fun like last year?!? Last year was great. Maeve's brother, Kevin, and I played mind readers at the back of the class room.

This little boy whom I adored would come and hold the colored end of his sharpie and we would guess the color. I would get it right and he would crack up.

That child was the cutest little thing!

I was wrong about fun.  We had as many kids in our class as we had had helpers. And frankly, we didn't need a single helper, because the teacher, Carleigh, was doing just fine by herself.  All I had to do was sit in the spinny chair and watch. My friend, Yayo, would pass me one of his silly band things and I would play with it for a while and then pass it back. I would talk with Carleigh  and she would talk with me. It was a very interesting class. The children would just frown and color their picture. The only interesting question was,"Why did God make us?"

My reply?

"He was bored." You can imagine how hard I bit my tongue after that.

The only interesting event happened during the play in church when our class was supposed to sit quietly and watch. Yeah right.

On of the kids, David 1 started to talk really loudly while his buddy, Scott, was trying to get him to be quiet.

"Scott did you see Sponge Bob last night? Blah blah blah blah blah blah? Blah blahhahahahahaha!"

"David, shhhh.... you need to be quiet! Sophie help me he won't be quiet!"

"David I need you to please be quiet, the adults are glaring at us please." I hear scuffling behind me.

"Sophie please help." Yayo says between clenched teeth. I leave Scott to try to get David 1 to be quiet and turn around. David 2 is jumping on Yayo's lap. Every time he comes down, Yayo's eyes bulge out of his sockets.

"David you need to get off of Yayo's lap," I say calmly.

"Nope!" David 2 smiles his evil little smile and keeps jumping.

"David if you don't stop, I'm going to have you sit next to me and you're not going to get to sit with Yayo," I say sternly. David stops jumping and glares at me through his glasses. He slowly slides of Yayo's lap. A sigh of relief slips from Yayo's lips. David 2 remains relatively calm during the rest of the play.

Back to David 1. I turn around to find Scott's hands clamped over David 1's mouth.

"David you need to be quiet. Once we leave the building you can talk to Scott all you want." David stops talking loudly in mass. He only whispers.

And that is how I spent the first two weeks of my summer.  More to come later.

-Sophia


Disclaimer-

Words exchanged through conversations are not exact. But pretty darn close.

1 comment: