Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Molina, Molina...

I hope you guys will find it in your hearts to forgive little old negligent me, and actually listen to my lovely indie artist of the week.

Actually, she's not exactly indie. Well, yes she is, because she doesn't have a major label. But her producer's awesome, from what I hear. But, back to the indie thing, she wouldn't want me to call her that, because, uh, I dunno, but without further ado, I present to you:

Melina Gerges




Ain't she the cutest thing you've ever seen?

Melina here is a classically trained soprano, but currently works as a very successful and driven sales rep.

She's also recording an album. And I interviewed her about it.


My favorite parts:

So what are your new songs about?

I had a friend who lost her child, and I wanted to write a short ballad that was very straightforward. Just about the feeling of loss. You feel so isolated when you lose a loved one, and no one should feel that way... It's profound because you realize when you lose somebody that there's a hole, and the things that you're used to and you take for granted just change. When someone wakes you up, or the way someone talks to you, or when you go to the grocery store... everything that your used to is gone. And it's a deep, deep loss... Its not such a wordy song. It's more about the feeling and the voice, and about the feeling of music. It's a piano ballad by the way.

Tell us about your producer.

Doug is really special. He's very talented in writing music, I think it's in his mind all the time. We started with some ideas, but I feel that now we're starting to get what makes a really good partnership. When he's writing music for me, he hears my spirit and he hears my voice and how that fits together.

What's the first song you ever wrote?

Oh my God, I cant remember! I was a little kid. I wrote a song, I made up words and I recorded it. I gave it to my uncles and let them listen to it. I was one of those characters that would make up stories make up songs. I hum to myself all the time. I would walk around the house in costume, I was always that kind of kid. Really happy. I was either always laughing or crying (I know) No in between for me.

Have you heard Green Day's new album? It's a rock opera.

Oh wow... There was another one, Janis Joplin who did a rock opera also. I think.

Did she?

Maybe.

Are you into Janis Joplin?

Oh yeah?

Vocally?

Oh, no.

So that was my edited version of the interview. It was fun.

You can listen to her music at Melina Music, her MySpace, or become a fan on Facebook!


-Maria Teresa

P.S. Did I mention she's my cousin?





No comments:

Post a Comment