I am a bird. I am a captivated bird. Spending my countless days, frantically roaming around my cage, scoping out an escape is what I do best. My deepest desire is that my owner just inserts the key, and opens the door.
It was a Tuesday evening, my parents had already fallen asleep and the unsupervised darkness screamed of trouble. My brother and sister were lounged around on the sofas, brainlessly watching television, I being myself, was wandering around the kitchen, digging for a midnight snack. After I had found my pot of gold, I needed a silver spoon to match. I suppose I was picky to the extreme where the one fork I wanted was dug under numerous pots, dishes and cups placed in the dish rack. In my attempts to release the fork, it hit a pot, knocking over a dish, slightly tapping a small vase on the counter. Unfortunately, this vase was so slim that it toppled over, hitting the larger vase beside it. The two vases hit the flour and smashed into a million fragments. The larger vase was a family air loom passed down to my mother by her grandmother. At this point, Josette Bird is worrying about the time spanned of her imprisonment.
In the morning, when my mother had asked what the loud noise was, I attempted to convince her that it was nothing more than me clumsily falling on the ground. Josette Bird has now crashed into the metal cage walls. She is able to pick herself back up and, slightly damaged, continues to waltz around the cage. My mother believed my false story until the afternoon when she saw a few stray pieces of glass on the flour, ordering an explanation. I had to come up with something instantly, so I told her that it was nothing more than a dish that had fallen. Josette Bird instantly rams right into her prison bars. Mom believes this portion of my tangled web of lies for no more than two hours. The vase was very important to her. Therefore, it didn’t take her long to realize its disappearance.
I was in an extreme predicament. I had to come up with something on the top of my head. So, of course, I blurt out the only thing I can possibly think of, “Andrew did it!” My brother is younger than me so it was believable. Sadly, Josette Bird has just had a terrible accident and has fallen on her head. She is near her death. I am free for the rest of the day. But, the next morning, my sister’s ignorance ruins it all. She asks my mother, “So are you still upset that Josette broke your vase?” From here on out, there is nothing more I can do. I must confess my mistakes and speak the horrid truth to my mother. Josette Bird’s owner has decided it is unfair to keep her crammed up, tortured and stressed in her tiny confined cage. The owner opens her cage and sets Josette Bird free. Later on that evening, my mother informed me that she was very upset, at first that her vase was gone, but she was recovering. She was, however, still upset that I had lied immensely to cover up my wrong doing.
Honesty is one of the few things in this world we have full control over. Each individual has the power to be truthful or to be a liar. It is our choice of how we use this delicate power. We just need to keep one thing in mind. Birds deserve to be set free and so does the truth.
that was awesome josette!!!!!
ReplyDeleteWow. I know your brother causes you grief, but blaming this on him? That's impressively evil coming from you. I'm so proud of you for coming clean though, *sniff sniff* I've obviously been a good influence on you ;)
ReplyDelete